Now that Australia has been labelled “The Fattest Nation on Earth” we
need to seriously look at Metabolic Syndrome and what that means for us and our long-term health. This syndrome is where pre-diabetes / diabetes (or poor blood glucose management and metaboism) and the onset of cardiovascular disease can affect you at the same time.
It can be a slippery slope to really poor health if it is not addressed and corrected using the best nutrition. Metabolic syndrome can affect our children too, not just adults, and this is where it becomes even more worrying. You or your loved ones may have this syndrome or be at high risk if you have:
- High blood pressure
- Pre-diabetes (insulin resistance) or diabetes
- High blood triglycerides
- Low blood HDL (good) cholesterol
- Extra weight on the waistline – 94cm or over in men, 80cm or over in women
- Family history of diabetes, heart attack or stroke
- The genes that increase your risk of heart disease or diabetesSome other signs that show you may be at risk or have the syndrome are:
- Skin tags (little tags of skin that appear on your trunk, under your arms or on your neck)
- Snoring and/or a diagnosis of sleep apnoea
- Memory problems
- Low libido
- Prostate problems
- Impotence or erectile dysfunction
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome
- Roughness and darkening of the skin.
Luckily naturopathic nutrition provides all the tools to help turn this syndrome on its head and to prevent it developing into a diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes or hardening of the arteries. Along with appropriate dietary ‘tweaks’ and nutritional medicine support, daily activity and exercise helps to reduce all the risk factors.
By Jan Purser
Jan is a high profile naturopathic nutritionist, health writer and award-winning author. Her mission is your nutrition and her approach is practical, simple and effective. Jan is passionate about optimal nutrition, health and wellness and she works closely with her clients to ensure the best outcomes to help them to achieve true wellness.